THE ADVENTURES OF A HALF COCKED SUCKER

It's not easy being a gay comic book geek with a sexy edge.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

This morning as I stood in the Castro Muni station my attention went from my book to a bird that had gotten down into the station. It was walking back and forth on the platform in a panic, somehow finding itself in a totally forgin environment.

People kept walking by the bird with reactions ranging from indifference to malice. One woman stomped in the birds direction when it veered towards her. Someone else laughed. I just stood there transfixed on the bird.

I felt like I could feel the birds pain. I wanted to do something to help. Somehow shoo the poor thing in the right direction so it would find the exit..... but I knew that would just add to it's terror. The dumb ass had gotten itself into this position and we both knew it would have to rely on itself to get out.

Down in the tunnel I saw the creeping lights of the train. They got bigger as the train got closer. The sound got the bird into a deeper state of panic. It froze and cocked it's head..... waiting, watching for the new danger.

I wanted to scream "JUST FLY AWAY, DAMN YOU!!" but deep down.... I knew just what was going on in that bird's brain. It was wondering what else was going to happen..... what new danger was on the way..... and was it even worth it to attempt an escape??

The train pulled in and.............. the bird flew. First it went down towards the opposite tunnel.... it must have realized that the dark tunnel was a bad idea because it looped around and came back towards the train.

I don't know what happened to that poor bird, but he has been on my mind all day.
Sometimes, on days like today, it seems like we've all been there. A bird in a subway station.


">
(<$BlogItemCommentCount$>) comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home